~18# Wildflower Honey
3# Red Raspberry Puree
1 Cup Craisens
1 pkg K1-V1116
4 tbs DAP
I recrystallized the honey using a water bath, boiled the Raspberry puree to be sure I didn’t contaminate anything and I also boiled the craisens. I topped off with water from my fridge filter, talk about a major hassle. And I added Ice to bring town temps and pitched yeast.
My choice to add fruit in primary was based upon something I heard about it adding complexity to the final product. I do plan on adding raspberries in secondary to reinforce the flavor.
Let me just tell you that the CO2 burps from the airlock were absolutely DIVINE! Like best smell in the world.
I plan on transferring into secondary on top of 3-6lbs of frozen local raspberries. I’m up in the air on type of pepper even though I’ve declared this a chipotle mead. I know I want some heat and I know I want some smokeyness and have recently read that chipotle peppers bring way more smoke than heat. I don’t want to drown out the honey or raspberries like I did with the oak on my last batch of mead.
What started in April 2012 as an interesting side experiment has turned into a crazy hobby that I would love to turn into a lifestyle one day. From left to right we have:
1) Spiced Apple Cyser, A sweet apple mead.
2) Spiced Apple Cherry Cyser, A dry apple mead with a dash of cherries.
3) Chai Bochet, a dry burnt honey mead with a base liquid of stove top brewed chai tea.
4) Oak Acerglyn, a semi-sweat oak infused maple syrup mead.
I’ve had an inkling of an idea to do a maple mead for quite a while now. I bit the bullet when one of my co-workers had family back east that harvested their own maple syrup offered to get a gallon for me at a discount. I got around to brewing on May 11th, 2014. The recipe is below.
9# Wildflower Honey
9# Vermont Maple Syrup(Staggered)
6g DAP(Yeast Nutrient)
I begun brew day by re-liquifying my honey using a hot water bath as it had crystallized and I didn’t think it would ferment as fast in it’s crystallized state. I took multiple gravity readings after adding all the ingredients together and it didn’t make much sense.
Measured O.G. = 1.036,1.112(Taken during yeast pitch and 2 hours after)
Estimated O.G. = 1.086-1.094(http://mcarterbrown.com/mead/mead2.html)
My hydrometer setup isn’t the most kosher however which can lead to inaccurate readings. I have a thin piece of string attacked to the top end so I can drop it in my carboy.
During the whole brewing process I would pick up my carboy and agitate it daily for the first week and then I moved to a weekly basis before racking to secondary. I also staggered my nutrients but unfortunately I did not keep track of when or how much.
S.G. = 1.022
Added second half of Maple Syrup.
S.G. = 1.042
Note: In retrospect, I would have waited till the honey and the first half of the maple syrup finished fermenting before adding the second half.
June 1st |
S.G. = 1.00
Potential Problem: Temperatures were in the 70s for the 1st week of fermentation. I had the fermentation vessel in a closet but I am pretty sure the temperature range traveled outside of the D47 yeast’s preferred temperatures.
Racked to Secondary. Tastes like gasoline. Added 1lb of maple syrup.
Added 2oz American Oak(Medium Toast)